The Story of Chard Museum

Chard’s First Museum

Chard had its first ‘museum’ in 1880. Arthur Hull, a local man, had built up a collection of ‘curiosities’ while working as a surveyor in the area and left them to Chard Town Council when he died.
His collection was put on display in the Town Hall but attracted little interest and began to deteriorate so it was handed over to Somerset County Museum in Taunton in 1917.

Chard and District Museum

The Arthur Hull collection stayed there for the next fifty years until a newly-formed Chard History Group began to campaign for a museum in Chard to celebrate the story of the town.
The Town Council bought a derelict 16th century building in High Street, which had formerly been four cottages, and offered the restored building to a new ‘Museum Council’. This building, now known as Godworthy House, was the first home of Chard Museum

The barn in 2011